Pros and Cons of DIY Cabinet Painting
Thanks to the popularity of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) home improvement shows, more and more homeowners feel inspired to attempt a revamp of their own. One commonly attempted feat is to repaint cabinets. If you have been tempted to give this a try, please read the following pros and cons regarding this topic before getting out your painter’s tape and paintbrush. In many cases, you will find buying new cabinets is a better long-term solution overall for your home’s resale value, overall aesthetics, and your sanity. Read on to learn more:
- Quick Fix with Noticeable Impact: Admittedly, repainting your cabinets in either your kitchen or bathroom can make a quick, noticeable impact. However, “quick” is a relative term, and it doesn’t necessarily mean “easy”. While the overall difference of a new paint color will likely make an impact, you will have to decide for yourself if the outcome is worth the cost and effort.
- Often Budget-Friendly: Repainting your old cabinets can be a cheap option, however, there are other factors to consider which we will cover below. You can likely paint a whole room worth of cabinets with a few hundred dollars of paint and supplies, but remember that you always get what you pay for.
- Not All Cabinets are Candidates for Repainting: One of the first factors to consider when contemplating a DIY cabinet paint job is whether your cabinets can be repainted in the first place. For example, if your current cabinets are damaged, chipped, or warped, a new coat of paint will only enhance the flaws, not cover them up. In addition, cabinets with specific grain patterns are impossible to cover completely. Therefore, in some cases, a DIY paint job simply isn’t possible.
- Time-Consuming to do Right: You might wonder why we said painting your cabinets yourself was a quick way to spruce up a room above and are now saying it’s time-consuming. Well, you can do it quickly, but it probably won’t look very good. To do the job right is extremely time-consuming and can be quite difficult for the non-professional. Painting isn’t the only step. Most people don’t realize the time and effort that goes into removing all the cabinets, labeling, sanding, doing a prime coat, taping, painting, and then re-hanging them. As you can see, “quick” is a relative term.
- Not Durable: The paint you can purchase at your local hardware store, no matter how expensive or high-quality, isn’t as good as the professional variety. Therefore, even if you are careful and use the best paint in the store, your new paint will scuff, scratch, and crack faster than any professional job and a professional job is nowhere near the quality or durability that is done at a manufacturing facility of new cabinetry.
- Difficult or Impossible to do a Professional Level Job: Professionals use a spray gun to get the refined, perfect look they create when finishing cabinets. To take it a step further, today’s manufacturing facilities have robotic arms that maneuver the spray guns so that the finish result is as close to flawless as possible. In addition to the robotic arms, manufacturing facilities have large ovens where the finish coat cures. Achieving a similar quality at home or with a local professional is not possible. They simply do not have the resources or tools that are used in today’s high quality manufacturing processes.
- Doesn’t Add Value: A kitchen or bathroom full of brand new cabinets will most certainly increase your home’s overall and resale value. However, the same cannot be said for repainting the cabinets. In fact, it can have the opposite effect sometimes. If the cabinets don’t come out as you’d hoped, with visible chips or scratches, paint strokes, and more, repainting your cabinets can actually reduce your home’s overall appeal.
While you can repaint your cabinets instead of replacing them, they most assuredly won’t look as good as you had hoped or imagined. You will likely wish you had saved yourself the time, the effort, and the money you spent on paint and supplies and called Diamond Kitchen and Bath from the start. Don’t waste your time and money trying to do it yourself, we’ll work within your budget to help you create your dream kitchen at an affordable price! Contact us at 602-246-1518 for more information.