How to Brighten Up a Dark Kitchen
For many of us, the kitchen is the focal point of the home. It’s where most of the conversations happen, where meals are prepared, and where a lot of your memories are born. But if you’re wondering how to brighten up a dark kitchen, you’re not alone. Older homes often have smaller, more utilitarian kitchens. If you have a kitchen without a window, or the windows don’t allow a ton of natural light, the space can look gloomy.
There is a lot you can do to brighten up your dark kitchen without making major renovations. Choosing bright colors and adding a few simple changes can make a world of difference.
Lighting for Dark Kitchen
If you’re wondering how to brighten a dark kitchen without painting, lighting can be one of the best options. There are a number of great lighting options that can make the space warm and friendly. Here are a few ideas that might make a world of difference in your space:
- Ornate hanging lights. Your kitchen lights make a huge impact on the decor. You can find any type of hanging light fixture, from fun and whimsical to traditional. If your space is ultra-modern, you might use several clean hanging fixtures that give off great light and match the decor. You can also choose bulbs that will help set the lighting in the area.
- Recessed Lighting. Adding recessed lighting can be a great option for a small space with low ceilings. Light fixtures won’t take up room or detract from decorative space. It opens up the room and allows you to add more lighting.
- Under the cabinet lights. Lights under your cabinets brighten the countertop space and add warmth to the room.
Paint to Brighten a Dark Kitchen
Changing the color of the kitchen can be the first, and best option to lighten the room. Darker colors can make the room feel claustrophobic. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go with plain white. You might use pops of color, too.
Here are some options to consider if you’d like to lighten the colors in your kitchen:
- Paint or replace dark cabinets. For many kitchens, the cabinets take up the majority of the wall space. Very dark cabinets might be painted white or replaced with a lighter color to open the space.
- Replace the countertop. A new, lighter-colored countertop can help to brighten the room.
- Adding a brightly tiled backsplash. This can be a great way to add color and light to your room.
Other Ways to Brighten a Kitchen
Updating the kitchen in small and large ways can give it a new life. Some ideas to help brighten the room might include:
- New appliances. You might replace older appliances with stainless steel or light-colored appliances.
- New flooring. Flooring can make a huge difference in the way a room feels. New trim can also brighten the way the room looks.
- Removing clutter. Give the room a thorough cleaning and remove any items that you don’t need. If you have mixers and appliances on your counter that can be stored in a cabinet, move them to open up the space. The less cluttered your kitchen, the brighter it will appear.
If you want to brighten up a dark kitchen, window treatments can be an excellent help, too. There are many design ideas that can help you make the space more inviting for you and your family.
Contact a kitchen design expert at Diamond Kitchen & Bath to help with any kitchen upgrade or remodeling questions you may have. With 4 showroom locations throughout the Phoenix metro area, we have been The Valley’s most trusted kitchen and bathroom remodeling team since 1986.